Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Super primitive wooden hoe (or grain scooper?)




Pictures don't do this justice! It was hard to photograph to show the absolutely amazing detail on this piece. It would be hard to find another old tool like this in such fantastic condition. How would a wooden hoe survive intact? It must have been very barely used if used at all. I just love this piece! My friend was selling this in Jaffrey, and I passed it up once. I was regretting doing so, but I was lucky because it was still available a week later when I talked to her. It must have been meant to be mine. The entire hoe is made of wood, with the two pieces, handle and blade attached by a wooden peg. The only metal on it is a small hook at the very tip. Unusual and unique. I have a feeling it won't be in the shop for long! Hoe is approx. 33 inches from end to end.
Note: there has been some discussion about this piece, one customer thinks it may be a grain scooper/ puller, so not 100% sure as to what it definitely is! SOLD!

No comments: